This month for the Secret Recipe Club I was assigned the blog Without Adornment written by the very talented, Bean. Her blog is all about being herself, being alive and being without adornment. You should definitely give it a peek. All her recipes are gluten-free and many are even vegan, egg free, dairy free and soy free.
I have very little experience with specialty diets except for a short stint in Maddy’s first year where the doctor thought she may be reacting to wheat and gluten that I was eating while nursing her. During that time I ate gluten-free. Fortunately, I found many things that were different from what I was used to however, were still mighty tasty! I didn’t do any baking during my gluten-free stage so I have no experience with baking gluten-free so this was a first for me.
As I looked through Bean’s blog, I found so many lovely things that I would have loved to bake. It was hard to make a decision! I decided to go with her Vegan Gluten Free Rhubarb Apple Galette. However, it’s November so therefore rhubarb is nowhere to be found. I have been wanting to try persimmons for the longest time and this was the perfect occasion to give that a go.
Every time I see persimmons at the farmer’s market I am always intrigued by this fruit that looks like orange tomatoes. As I tried my first slice I was immediately enamored with them! I assure you, even though they may look like a tomato they certainly do not taste like one. They’re soft, juicy and oh so pleasantly sweet!
The persimmons got partnered up with some gala apples and a little cinnamon. They all hopped into the galette and were baked up to a golden, bubbly brown. The wonderful thing about a galette is it’s like a lazy man’s pie. No pie plate, no crimping edges. Just put everything in the middle of your dough disk, fold up the sides and pop it in the oven. Very rustic looking and oh so easy! This comes in handy when you’ve just had a baby and have a very rambunctious 2-year-old running around. So go take a look at Bean’s beautiful blog as you sample this lovely galette.
Gluten-Free Persimmon Apple Galette Slightly adapted from Without Adornment
1 gluten-free pie crust disc (Such as Namaste GF Pie Dough)
2 gala apples, peeled and sliced
2 ripe persimmons, peeled and sliced
3 Tablespoons tapioca starch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 Tablespoons agave nectar
– Roll out the pie dough into a circle until the crust is slightly more than 1/4″ thick between a piece of plastic wrap (top) and parchment paper (bottom). Remove the plastic wrap and press the edges of the disk to smooth them out and make it more circular.
– In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the persimmons, apple, tapioca starch and cinnamon until persimmons and apple are evenly coated.
– Drizzle on the agave nectar and toss until evenly coated.
– Arrange the fruit mixture onto the middle of the pie dough, leaving a 2″ border.
– Fold the edges of the dough over the filling mixture. Use your fingers to press the dough together to keep it folded.
– Transfer parchment paper onto a cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven at 350F for 25 minutes.
– Rotate the pan and cook for another 20 minutes or until filling is bubbly and pie crust is golden brown. Note: Add about 1 tbsp. of water to the filling when rotating it.
– Remove from oven and let cool before serving.