Over at Kitchen Play for this month’s Progressive Party, they’re celebrating National Cherry Month with the Cherry Marketing Institute. Cherries are one of my very favorite fruits so when I saw that I had to get in on the party. According to the Cherry Marketing Institute’s site, “Research has linked tart cherries to anti-inflammatory benefits, reduced pain from gout and arthritis and an extensive list of heart health benefits. Recent studies even suggest tart cherries can help reduce post-exercise muscle and joint pain.” I certainly never needed an excuse to eat cherries but those facts make me feel even better about doing so!
The bloggers this month at Kitchen Play’s Progressive Party created six amazing recipes featuring cherries as the star. As I feasted my eyes on all the incredibly creative recipes, I kept coming back to the tart cherry mini pockets with brie. This appetizer just sounded like it was going to taste amazing! And they were cute too… I like anything handheld and miniature.
For my variation on this already delightful recipe, I combined tart cherries with goat cheese, a little honey and some chopped pecans. All that goodness gets baked in a little pie crust and makes for the perfect little treat. It comes together in a snap and would make a fantastic no fuss appetizer for entertaining guests. Most importantly, they tasted amazing and didn’t last more than two hours in my house. Easy and tasty! And I can’t take full credit for all the work on this project… I had an assistant 😉
Tart Cherry Mini Pockets with Goat Cheese Adapted from The Little Kitchen
Makes about 18-20
1 box refrigerated pie dough (comes with 2 rolls of dough)
1/2 cup dried tart cherries
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
3 Tablespoon honey
1/4 cup toasted pecans, chopped
– Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
– Allow the pie dough to sit out for at least 15 minutes before unrolling it. Unroll and using a rolling pin, roll it out a little bit thinner (to about an 1/8 inch). Using a circle cutter or cup, cut out 3 1/2 inch circles.
– In a bowl combine the cherries and pecans. Toss with honey.
– In each circle place a dollop of the cherry filling and a sprinkle of goat cheese. Don’t over fill. Fold over and pinch closed. Repeat with all mini pockets.
– Bake for 10-12 minutes until the mini pockets are golden brown.