Happy Monday! This week raspberries and blackberries combine in this lemon-zested quick muffin that’s the perfect “grab and go” breakfast for any morning. Maddy absolutely adores raspberries and was thrilled to try blackberries for the first time. They were a big hit as well. This came as no surprise to me since she loves most fruits.
These muffins are vibrant and just scream Spring! When you bite into these, you will hit berries with each and every nibble. They’re chock full of them! The recipe says to serve them warm but I actually preferred them more once they fully cooled but you eat them at whatever temperature that strikes your fancy. Either way, they’ll be the perfect way to start your day.
*What’s your favorite fruit this time of year?
One Year Ago: Lemon Mini-Muffins with Lime Scented Sugar
Sugar Crusted Raspberry Blackberry Muffins Adapted from Real Simple
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup whole milk
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest from one lemon
3/4 cup fresh raspberries
3/4 cup fresh blackberries
– Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
– In a medium bowl, combine 1 3/4 cups of the flour and 1/2 cup of the sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and combine.
– In a second bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, vanilla and lemon zest.
– Gradually add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined; the batter will be lumpy.
– Toss the berries with the remaining flour in a bowl. Gently fold the berry mixture into the batter.
– Fill each muffin cup 3/4 cup full. Top each with a whole berry, if desired. Sprinkle the batter with the remaining sugar.
– Bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffins comes out clean.
– Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.