A good breakfast is my very favorite meal of the day. There’s something about a hearty meal that just starts the day off right. One of my favorite breakfasts is definitely oatmeal. Warm, creamy and I like mine with lots of “mix-ins.” But for the last week here in New Jersey, it’s been nearly 70 degrees by about 9am so a nice big bowl of oatmeal is one of the last things on my mind.
That’s why when I saw the recipe for Muffin Monday this week I was thrilled! I could make oatmeal with all my “mix-ins” and not sweat to death as I ate it. For these muffins I decided I wanted to add some little wild blueberries and coconut. They couldn’t be tastier. A morning treat that’s just a little bit tropical and the best part is the toasted coconut on top. Don’t be stingy, now! As always, after how tasty they are the next best part is how quick and easy it is to make muffins. I love that. Happy Monday!
Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.
Oatmeal Muffins with Blueberries & Coconut
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick of butter, melted and cooled
1 cup of buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup blueberries
3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut, divided
– Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
– In a large bowl combine the rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
– In another smaller bowl, combine the butter, buttermilk, vanilla and egg.
– Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
– Fold in the blueberries and 1/2 cup of the coconut.
– Fill the prepared muffin cups 2/3 full. Sprinkle the tops with remaining coconut.
– Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 1 minute and then cool on a rack.
Adapted from Simply Recipes